Monday, November 9, 2009

The Conversation of Life

I love a really good conversation. You know, the kind that Nora Ephron might write – especially if her life revolved around a Biblically based, authentic faith in God. The kind of chatty conversation that spills over with what is deep and meaningful, fantastical and oozing with hope-filled dreams, newsy and real, transparent and intimate, but also loaded with belly shaking laughs. A Gilmore Girls meets CS Lewis and the boys at their favorite Eagle & Child hangout in Oxford. Yeah, that’s manna for this quality time craving gal!

 A chronic thinker, many of my most animated conversations occur inside my own head. I think that’s why I eventually took to journaling – just trying to make room for all the thoughts that bounce around in this increasingly overcrowded brain of mine. But, there’s nothing like having someone to think and dream and laugh and cry out loud with, is there? A girlfriend who hears your heart and doesn’t think you’ve lost your ever lovin’ mind. A trusted confidante whose head begins to nod and whose eyes mist up when you talk about the darkest night of your soul. Isn’t it incredible when someone shares her own dreams with you, entrusting a little piece of her heart into your hands? And God love the heaven-sent friend whose quick wit and quirky take on things gives you some MUCH needed perspective when you’re fresh out. Someone who alternatively helps you make sense out of things AND isn’t afraid to sometimes say out loud, “You know…I just DON’T know. Sometimes life is just a mess and I’m sorry you’re up to waist in it.”

I do love the conversation of life. The laid-back contemplation, intentional and forward-leaning listening, the kind and caring comments, fast comebacks, whispered secrets, and the gesture-making, volume-rising enthusiasm of it all. Whether you mostly find yourself thinking, listening, talking, or (like some of us) doing them all at the same time…you are part of the conversation of life. And, it’s that conversation that we relate to. I hope that’s what you’ll find here at this blog: a conversation you can relate to. May you feel understood. Heard. May you find some fresh perspective, a good giggle now and then, and something worth both thinking about and commenting on when you finish reading here.

Join me, won’t you. I’d love to share part of life’s conversation with you.

 

Really Relating

What have some of your most memorable conversations been about? Who have you shared them with and why are you still thinking about them today? 

3 comments:

  1. Well, sweet friend, some of my most memorable conversations have taken place with YOU. Why? Because they so closely resemble paragraph #1 in this post. :o) I love that we can share our souls and crack up laughing all in the same conversation. I love that we share the same passion for Jesus and are like-hearted in our callings... you "get" me. I love that we can chat for no less than 3 hours and look at our watches in astonishment (every time!). I love that you love my kids and want to hear about them... and, likewise, I'm crazy about your fabulous duo. I love our chocolate & chai connections, don't forget about fried pies. (wink) I also love the fact that our husbands connect deeply and the way the 4 of us can share both fun-loving and transparent conversations. I love that I feel refreshed after being with you; you bring out my best. And, I suppose that's the most important element in any conversation I enter into- someone who makes me better. So there ya go! I hope that is welcome your brand-spankin'- new blog to cyberspace. Love you... and your conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather Mc - you are precious to me. Thank you. We do have some truly quality convos, don't we? I appreciate all that you are, and am thanking God once again for the blessing of you. Your words make my heart smile. love you, vickey

    ReplyDelete