Thursday, December 24, 2009

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree!

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, 

Much pleasure doth thou bring me!


Decorating our family Christmas tree has long been a favored Christmas tradition in our house.  I loved the way my son explained why when he was just six years old,

“I like to hear the memories.” he sweetly said.

I knew exactly what he meant then, and I still feel the same way over a decade later. Every year, when I lift the lids off the boxes of ornaments, I could swear that I hear them talk! Even if carefully holding them in my hands didn’t prompt a memory, each ornament has a written description of who or where it came from, as well as what year we added it to our eclectic collection. When we carefully unwrap them, we remember “their story” and are transported back in time.

As I hold the tiny teddy bear sitting in the rocking chair, a smile spreads across my face as I remember my first Christmas as a mommy. Construction paper chains and pinecones piled high with glitter also flood my heart with memories of my chubby cheeked children dancing about my feet. Other handmade creations take me back to sitting side-by-side friends and family, laughing hard as we painted, sewed, cut and pasted our own masterpieces. And, as over half of the ornaments are from my Mom, I cannot help but be touched by the realization that her hands once lovingly chose and wrapped them with us in mind. I lightly kissed each of hers before prominently placing them on the tree this year.

And the trips we’ve taken! There are seashells, starfish, and a sailboat, all testifying to sun-kissed times at the ocean. Miniatures of the Lincoln Memorial, St. Louis Arch, Eifel Tower, and even a Pinocchio from Italy take me back to places we’ve played.

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree…you do make my heart smile. Thank you for the memories.


Really Relating
What is your favorite Christmas tradition is and why. I can't wait to hear!




1 comment:

  1. This Christmas was such a blurr...I hate to stay that I didn't savor too much. Shame on me! But one thing the kids and I did was string popcorn and cranberries for our tree. My husband looked at me and shook his head. But looking back that is one thing I will remember...Have a wonderful relaxing week between Christmas and New Years, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete