Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Miracle of Hope



“Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over,
it became a butterfly.”

 - Anonymous






Have you ever seen a miracle? Years ago, when my children were small, we witnessed the miraculous rebirth of not one, but five caterpillars. Within a week, we watched a group of scrawny looking worms eat their way into becoming a bunch of fat and fuzzy caterpillars. They then hung themselves head down and wove cocoons about their bodies. Up to then, watching them had been fascinating. At that point, however, they became chrysalides and looked like nothing more than hard pea pods.

Although we eagerly watched for signs of life, it was actually kind of depressing just staring at pea pods for another week. It looked like the party was over. But then…a miracle happened! The lifeless looking pods transformed before our very eyes into breathtakingly beautiful butterflies.

As I look around me now, I can’t help but see people who remind me of those butterflies in the making. Their once eventful lives have been abruptly turned upside down by the challenges of life. Illness, divorce, grief, depression, wayward children, job losses, financial reversals and hormones gone haywire have given the misguided impression that their world is over. But alas, what is going on beneath the surface has the potential to grace our world with a beauty that we are all in desperate need of - the matchless miracle of Hope.

I don’t know what challenges you are facing, but my own experiences of being locked inside my cocoon have assured me that things are not always as they seem. Hope has not gone dormant. Because there is a God, new life is more than possible. You are not destined to inch along like a hungry caterpillar, or to hang around like a dried up pod. You were born to fly.

Please don’t give up. Hang on to God and His promises. Allow Him to comfort and strengthen you like only He can. Eventually, He will transform you into someone whose story reminds others that they too can soar above their circumstances.

There is a butterfly within you. New life and beauty are just around the corner. Go ahead…unfurl those wings! Become all that God longs for you to be.


Really Relating
How has God encouraged you during the challenges in your life?
How has He used your difficulties to transform you from the inside out?

1 comment:

  1. Today, He told me...when you are weak, I am strong...it has more meaning to me now than when I first learned this verse. As a child and even as a younger adult, I thought God I never want to be weak! I can be strong for you! But now I understand more deeply, that I can never be strong enough. And that has made this little worm, hold dear to the wings He's giving me. He wants us all to soar...it's knowing that He's the only way we truly can is what I see now is key. Hope that makes sense. :) Enjoyed this Vickey. Thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete